Great Walk Foundation - 11th Year

Day 2

Today we left Tarana at about 9am, the morning was not as cold as yesterday and Greeny even took off the jacket from the start and dealt with the cold air embracing the beautiful central west brisk air. We started as a team today and the plan was to walk as a group and hopefully everyone could keep the pace. However about 10km in Greg, Greeny, Wearny and Trent took on a few hills and set the pace. They faded into the distance and even had a few KMs of running to stretch their legs. There was plenty of hype within the group as a few of the boys signed up for the 2013 Port Macquarie Iron man event in twelve months time so the tone was set high!

As the day went on the road crew consisting of Wynn and Brett kept form with all the walkers passing Wynn as he took a few winks on the side of the road. He was busy swallowing flies so we didn't bother him. Brett was a little concerned as the the where abouts of Wynn and drove the length of the track looking for him. When Wynn awoke he had no idea what time it was and that all the walkers had passed him an hour ago, lol. Great stuff "support crew"... true to form.

We arrived in Lithgow a little earlier than expected and had a photo shoot with the local newspaper as we handed a cheque to The Lithgow Community Private Hospital to support funding for an early detection prostate machine. This again gave us great pride to be part of helping regional NSW with such worthy causes.

We always find a good laugh on the road helps us through our tough day. Greeny's lovely wife Jenny and daughter Sarah called to inform us that they took the dogs for a walk today, however the oldest dog is a bit beyond it so they decided to be fair and place the dog in the wheel barrow. Apparently a local identity who loves a few arvo drinks came out and saw the the dog in the wheel barrow deciding he had had too many for the day! Thanks girls, you are always good for a laugh.

In term of the days walking the man of the match today goes to Mark Mulock. As we headed up the massive hill coming out of Lake Lyell, Mark just gritted his teeth as always and put the foot to the pedal. He was up the hill so fast, with arms swinging harder than we have ever seen he looked like he was about to take flight... "a beautiful moment". A few of us decided that we were best to run and catch up but when we roped him in and started walking again he just drifted away again. It was easier to start running again than try and keep pace with The Mulock at full pace!

We have a few small injuries with Trent sporting a nice left foot (ironic) injury with mild swelling, and Rob Wearn having a minor chest infection that Tony is helping him with. This is why it's so great to have such a diverse range of expertise at our disposal on this event.

So tomorrow we leave Lithgow heading for Mt VIctoria and the haven of the Imperial Hotel. Dianne Azapardi and Jannine Ashbee are joining us for the day and I'm sure will gibe us plenty of laughs. The night at the Imperial is always a good one as we are a little closer to home and we get a few familiar faces turning up for a few drinks. Keep track of us on tomorrows diary as we expect rain tomorrow and that alway makes things interesting.


Social Media


One Point Health

Ph: (02) 4731 2544 510-536 High St, Penrith NSW 2750

Who's Online

We have 10 guests online

Search GWF

Sponsor Accommodation

  • Nickerbocker Hotel - Bathurst
  • Gardner's Inn - Blackheath
  • Grandview Hotel - Wentworth Falls


Members : 4
Content : 130
Web Links : 6
Content View Hits : 264934